Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 6, 2010

Starve a Cold, Feed a Fever

I didn't sleep very well last night. Kept hacking. *sigh*, I wish I could just chug some Buckley's™ and be done with this. I hauled my butt to Timmy's this morning at 9. I got a coffee and a breakfast sandwich. Sat down in the corner and hunkered down in front of my laptop. Surprisingly I was able to tap into a weak wireless signal so I had intermittent web access which helped me to do some more research on Chris' tattoo. I have the general form of it worked out, I just need to find some good Celtic knot reference now to make this thing look good. I hung out there for just over an hour and a half. Lara said the appointment would be 9 - 9:30 so just to be safe I was going to wait til 11. I started to get really sleepy so I packed up and headed back.

I'm continually surprised by the kindness of strangers in Canada. As I was packing, a lady who had just entered motioned to me to ask if I was leaving. I replied that I was and she was welcome to the table. She set her binder down to claim the table and went to line up. I didn't get 20 feet out the door before I heard a frantic, "Helloooooo, excuse me, excuse me!" behind me. I turned to see an older gentleman hustling behind me to flag me down. "I think you forgot your binder sir," he says. A younger man, presumably his son, came out of the Timmy's behind him binder in hand. I chuckled and explained that it belonged to the young lady in line who set it down to claim the table. I thanked them for their kind consideration, and headed back to the house.

The other day I had read an article by a Texas journalist who, in a moment of complete insanity, decided to write an article lamenting how all of the Olympic coverage he saw in Vancouver was heavily Canadian and compared it to the
Nazi patriotism of the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Don Braid of the Calgary Herald had written said journalist a rather terse letter and that journalist apparently called Don back to apologize for his "spectacular error in judgement."

Don did included a couple of links in his article from some other American journalists who had some rather, by their standards, extraordinary experiences in Vancouver. Tom Brokaw's
video essay, NBC's Brian Williams thank you note, and the LA Times' Bill Plaschke wrote a great article on his Olympic experiences in Vancouver.

I think, generally speaking, we are kind people. I don't know how or why it's come to be this way. I am, however, very proud to be Canadian and I take a lot of pride in how our global neighbors perceive us. It's good to be one of the good guys. Hmm, sorry, getting a little too full of myself there.

No comments:

Post a Comment