Saturday, March 6, 2010

February 25, 2010

Adjustments

I woke up this morning at 6:45 soaking wet. I tend to be a warm person. I generate a fair amount of heat so adjusting to sleeping in a sleeping bag is an interesting transition. I was feeling lazy so I didn't wear a shirt last night so I wound up having to fumble around for a flashlight, find my shirt from last night and wipe down my sleeping bag.

My throat has been acting up the last couple of days so I partially woke up from my throat being so raw. I think I may have caused that issue myself. I used my water bladder on the trip over on the ferry and I haven't used it in some time. It probably wasn't clean and I probably caught something from it. Stupid. I knew better.

I went back to sleep and woke up in the dark. The place where I'm staying doesn't really have any windows so I fumbled around to find my iPhone to discover it was... 2:00pm?!?!??!?!?! Yeesh.

I spent the next couple of hours taking in the Olympics and catching up on e-mails. At some point I'm going to have to do some work. I have an RFP to answer and a couple of proposals to write. I can't sit on my laurels for very long.

Xuan and Andy got back from Victoria and as none of us had eaten anything we decided to try out a Chinese place called Dover's. Not bad. Not bad. Decent, typical takeout. We took a walk out to Neck Point. I wish I had known we were going for a walk as I would have worn something warmer. It was a little cool out and as much as I was enjoying the walk, it was a little too cold to stay out long in just my windbreaker. Still, I got some good pics, got some air and went for a sixer when I slipped on a wet log.

The women won the gold in hockey beating out the US 2-0. That rivalry is so hotly contested it was fun to watch even if I only watched the first period. I felt bad for the men's aerialists who weren't quite able to pull out a podium finish. I especially felt bad for Steve Nissen who would jump last and went into his final jump in first place and couldn't quite stick the landing and finished 5th. I think the story of the Olympics though is Joannie Rochette. After her mother unexpectedly died of a heart attack shortly after arriving in Vancouver, Joannie skated her way to a bronze medal when anyone else would have understood if she bowed out of competition. The courage and heart that she showed is an inspiring story and I am so happy to have been witness to this extraordinary, gutsy performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment