Sunday, March 14, 2010

March 13, 2010

Om Nom Nom

I woke up at 2. I figured it was the weekend so I could sleep in. I was meeting Ian and Laura later this evening for dinner so I decided in between I would wander down to Lonsdale Quay and do a walkabouts. I was going to make my Timmy's run when I noticed Lara's kitchen light on. I knew Dan was away this weekend so I knocked on her door to see what she was up to this evening. As it turns out, nothing. I asked if she'd like to come for dinner and that I was about to do a Timmy's run and a walk about. Lara wanted to join me for my Lonsdale Quay walkabout so while I did my Timmy's run she was going to get ready.

There was a homeless guy hanging out by the door at Timmy's. He was disheveled and scruffy and appeared to be looking for handouts. He said nothing and held the door open for me. I noticed he didn't seem to be asking anyone for anything but merely acting like a doorman. Interesting way to do things. I have this thing with giving homeless guys change. Buskers i don't have a problem with. Homeless guys... I don't know where the money is going. Will it go to alcohol or drugs, I don't know so feeling a little charitable today, along with my order I bought some soup. It was a little cool out so I thought some warm soup might be nice. As I approached the door, he held it open for me once again and I said, "Thank you. The bag on top is for you my friend." He smiled and said, "I'd actually prefer some change..." As I walked away I think I heard him say, "Holy..." I think he must have thought I bought him a donut. My good deed of the day.

After Lara was finished getting ready and donuts and coffee had been consumed, we headed out. It was almost 4:30 so we weren't going to have a tonne of time to wander abouts. No worries. Not like I'm going anywhere tomorrow. We poked around and looked and laughed at a bunch of unlicensed products and other weird things before heading to Ian's. We were running a little late and with the Paralympics traffic was a little congested. We got there about 20 minutes late. Oops.

Laura had discovered a new Chinese place that had gotten some good buzz so we walked over to check it out. As we walked in to the space I thought to myself, wow, this is definitely not your traditional Chinese joint. It looks like a bar... It was pretty empty and we sat ourselves towards the back of the narrow space. It was a pretty groovy space actually. Nice ambience. The waitress gave us some cinnamon infused water to start and we leafed through the menu. Ehm... the menu was mostly drinks and one page of food that looked like mostly appetizers. Hmmm... ok. Ian started thinking we were in the wrong place and after some investigating we discovered we were. Feeling bad, we explained our situation to the waitress who replied it wasn't the first time this had happened and directed us to the restaurant that was three doors down. There was a big neon sign outside of it that said Bao Bei. Well, we were definitely in the right place this time. The wait time was 45 minutes so we decided to go back to the bar to kill some time. When our table was ready we walked over and sat ourselves down. This was also not exactly your typical Chinese restaurant. I'd call it a little more fusion or at least a modern twist on Chinese cuisine. The space was lively with thumping music and the crowd was definitely of the upscale, hip, urbanite variety. We ordered our drinks and food and I haver to say it was a very, very nice experience. The food was well prepared and delicious. Ian said, Laura's Pina Colada was just as the menu advertised, "The best f@#$ing Pina Colada ever." We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. I'd definitely come back here and recommend it.

Reason to smile today: Delicious food and fabulous company at Bao Bei.

Something I learned today: Male Alpacas make a particular sound to stimulate ovulation in the females. Could you imagine if humans were like that?

Something that made me laugh today: "What do mimes do for quiet time?" - Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment