Sunday, April 18, 2010

April 2, 2010

Crashing

Had another late night last night. Strange how I'm having trouble sleeping but for completely different reasons. Still not good though cos I have afternoon crashes where I get really tired.
I woke up at 2:30. Lara came a knockin' to see if I wanted some soup. Her cousins were coming today so I had to clear out of the suite this afternoon.

I did a little cleaning, had soup with Lara then went back downstairs to finish packing and cleaning. I had a weird craving for coffee all afternoon but it was pouring out so I didn't go out. Eventually, I was going to have to head out to go to Ian's so I got all of my gear together that I was taking with me to Ian's and headed out into the rain. It was actually pretty amazing how much crap I was taking with me for two nights. Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, two changes of clothes, a set of dress clothes and toiletries. I had a full pack. It looked like I was going on a month long back packing trip. Nutty.

I got my Timmy's then headed for the bus. It was really wet out. Ironically I was going to meet Ian and Laura on Water Street at even more ironically, the Pour House.

Dinner was very good. It took a minute to actually find the place. I had a new drink today. It was called a Raspberry Collins which I think is a virgin version of a Tom Collins1. Not bad. It was much like an Italian soda. I had a not so sloppy sloppy Joe for dinner and a Treacle tart for dessert. Tasty.

Reason to smile today: Finally got my Timmy's after craving coffee all afternoon

Something I learned today: I have too much stuff...

1. Discovered a Tom Collins is a cocktail made from gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water. The name is derived from two sources. One is the Collins glass which the drink is typically served in. The other is a big hoax from 1874. A person would ask someone if they had seen Tom Collins who had been speaking rather badly about them. the idea was to get the victim to get so worked up and agitated that he would act like a fool in public over a non-existant person. The author of the book it was first published in was Jerry Thomas and since New York based Thomas would have known about the wide spread hoax and the contents of the 1876 published book were developed during or right after The Great Tom Collins hoax of 1874, the hoax event is the most plausible source of the name for the Tom Collins cocktail.



No comments:

Post a Comment